'We’re all a little weird. And life is weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutual weirdness and call it love.'
-Dr. Suess

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The End Approaches

So here is the latest.  I went in Monday for my external cephalic version to turn the baby head down.  Lets just say not my favorite experience.  Jeff and I went into the hospital and I was already a little nervous about the whole thing just from hearing that other people had it done with an epidural and I just wasn't sure what to expect.  They stuck me in a room and monitored me for a while, told me not to be nervous, then started asking me if we had discussed or had plans of what we were going to do if I died.  Yes, I know hospital procedure, but come now if you're trying to get me to calm down choose another topic.  Then they injected me with drug to relax the uterus, and oh the side effects are racing heart and anxiety, but try not to feel nervous.  So then they tried to turn him, and yeah it hurt a lot more than I was expecting.  He tried once with no success, and said he didn't think it would work because my abs were just too tight since they had never been stretched before.  I asked him to try one more time because I really wanted it too work so I wouldn't have to do a C-section.  So he tried one more time while I tried to relax, but since his head was up under my ribcage and everything was so tight it didn't work. So now I've been trying every method online that I can find (swimming, doing handstands and sommersaults in the water, laying on an incline bench, icepacks, you name it).  Nothing seems to have worked so far, or at least hadn't at my last  Dr. appointment.  Apparently he is a footling breech and thats why this other Dr said he wouldn't turn, but that he might turn on his own.  Anyway I have a C-section scheduled for the 20th but the doctor said he didn't think there was anyway I would make it til then, but what do they know.  I guess I was pretty much completely effaced and dilated a little beyond a 2. Then the doctor told me when my water breaks I was to go directly to the hospital and if my husband wasn't around that I should just leave without him.  So, if I'm at school when this happens things could get interesting.    Anyway they say it could really happen any day now.  Hopefully he can wait til Wednesday evening because then I am done with all my tests for the next 3 weeks which would be ideal.  If the baby would decide to turn that would also be fantastic.  We will see if he stays a rebel til the end.